Thursday 29 December 2011

The Color Workshop - Across the Universe

Good morning, lovelies!

Today I'm going to start reviewing some of the great polishes I got for Christmas. Apparently my family have realised I'm a polish addict: I received no fewer than 24 bottles of nail polish as presents this year! 14 of them actually came as part of a gift set sold at ASDA, along with two nail buffers, a set of toe separators, and tubes of cuticle remover and cuticle cream. Now I have to confess that initially I thought 'oh, how nice, I bet they're not very good though' - it's one of those non-recognisable collections that appears at Christmas and disappears soon after, and past encounters with this sort of thing haven't been that impressive.

Not so the Color Works set. I'm actually really impressed with this one. For one, it contains TWO holo glitters, a silver glitter and a really pretty duochrome that looks perfect for layering. For another, the cuticle remover actually works, and the nail buffers are this great twisty shape that just... works. The polish I've tried so far also has a great formula, but more about that in a moment. I looked up the price and it was a measly £9.99! Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the box this time round, but rest assured I'll be swatching all of these polishes very soon, so I'll get it next time ^.^ 


So without further ado, I present Across The Universe. It's a fine silver glitter polish in a clear base, and at first glance it looks like it'll be really sparse - you know how some glitters need 98572 coats to be anywhere near opaque? Well, this isn't one of those. Pictured are just two coats, and not particularly thick ones either. The brush was standard shaped but unusually soft, which actually made things easier since it splayed out easily and made application a breeze. Drying time was impressively fast, and once dry, it's pretty smooth (for a glitter) and shows some pretty decent wear. I wore this for two days, with no topcoat, and it still looked great. It's very sparkly without being garish - it's a shame it's done nothing but rain here recently, or I'd have tried to get a shot of it glittering like mad in the sunshine like it did in the 5 minutes of sunshine I went out in (without a camera, darn it).


Overall, I love this polish - yes, it's just a basic silver glitter, and there's a lot of those out there, but this one works out at 71p a bottle and has the kind of formula I'd expect to see in a polish far more pricey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment