Monday 20 February 2012

Rimmel 60 Seconds Vinyl Shine : Denim Dreams

OK so let me apologise up front for the pictures in this post; they're rushed to death, taken on a camera phone and blurry. It's also about the least tidy manicure I've done in a long time... it looks like I don't even know what cleanup means! GAH!

There's a very good reason for this: I'm trying to beat the clock! A very good friend of mine sent me this polish as part of a polish swap, and it's one of her favourites. Her mum is very poorly in hospital and she's flying out to see her this afternoon. I wanted to make her smile, so I'm trying to rush this mani and get it online in time for her to see it before she leaves. Soooo... no time for perfection! LOL


Denim Dreams is one of Rimmel's 60 second fast dry polishes, but unlike the rest of them, this one is supposed to have a vinyl effect once it dries. In reality this makes it a little tricky to apply; it's prone to brush strokes, and doesn't have the fancy Pro brush that Lycra Pro and some other Rimmels have. But applied carefully (and by carefully I mean with a decent, but not excessive amount of polish on the brush, applied quickly, with as few strokes as possible) it does give a rather cool wet look plastic finish that doesn't come across too well in these pictures, but in real life does look rather like you've got a layer of vinyl coating your nails. As with all of the 60 second Rimmel polishes I've tried so far, the 60 second claim is NOT to be believed; I used two coats of Denim Dreams over one coat of Nail Envy and after an hour, I touched something (lightly) and immediately got a dent! I'd definitely say that quick drying top coat is a must for this polish if you don't want to be sat there all night waiting for it to dry.



The slightly tricky application and slow drying time are more than made up for the unusual vinyl look and the really pretty denim colour of the blue. Most of the pictures I took showed this polish as a much brighter shade than it really is, but this one solitary shot here has the colour pretty much perfect. (Excuse the lobster red fingers; apparently my camera can't cope with photographing blue AND flesh tones correctly at the same time!). Those two bright spots on my index and middle fingers are light reflections in the wet look plastic finish :-). I've worn this polish a few times now and it goes nicely with my favourite blue denim dress, as well as jeans.

Thanks Hilde, hope your trip goes well and your mum is OK!!


34 comments:

  1. Great colour xx Lovely blog xx Found you on bloghop xx Check out my blog xx We could follow each other through GFC and bloglovin x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, lovely to see you! Of course I will follow x

      Delete
  2. Following you back from the blog hop! Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok hun and thank you! I love your blog :)

      Delete
  3. hey there! i saw you on blog hop and thought i would say hello!

    newest follower! ♥
    follow back ?

    hugs, xo!
    *My Blog* BARBIE-BOMBSHELL.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'll follow back, lovely to meet you! x

      Delete
  4. hey, found you on bloghop :)
    lovely blog & gorgeous nails!! xx
    www.simplysarahlou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shade and the finish!
    And love Your blog!


    lionsandmakeup.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much hun :)
      Oh and I've followed you!

      Delete
  6. Great color. I love this shade of blue.

    I hope your mom friend is okay. Wish her the best of luck.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I am now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow back and for the good wishes! I'll pass them on.

      Delete
  7. You are so great in Manicure !!! And the colors you choose are very interesting and unique :)

    I found you through blog hop.
    XoXo Rachel
    www.vintagebyrachel.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks hun that's very kind :)
      Thanks for the comment x

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's even nicer in real life... just like actual denim, but shiny!

      Delete
  9. Oh my god I want this colour!! :)

    whatrebeccasaid.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it? I was lucky to get this one in the swap :)

      Delete
  10. i love blue shades... this one is amazing!

    xoxo
    jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I love how it's just like denim jeans :)

      Delete
  11. Hopped over to check your blog! Following! Badbarbara.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous color, it will go great with my blue jeans ;) thanks for sharing!

    Landed on your blog and I love it. I am your newest follower. Please check out my blog and follow me too if you like it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blue nails!! Such a fun color!
    Thanks for the sweet comment on Glitterati and Glamour; following you back now :)

    xoxo,
    Paris

    glitteratiandglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thank you! And you're more than welcome, your blog is lovely :)

      Delete
  14. This is a gorgeous colour, and looks great on you as you have good nails, lucky you.
    thanks for the Dior foundation tip on my blog too, Im going to get a sample at the weekend xx


    http://a30something.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks hun you're very kind :)
      And you're welcome, I hope you like it! I love Diorskin, it's the only brand that I've found that actually colour matches my skin properly. I have an odd skintone (olive but pale at the same time) and most brands don't even come close!

      Delete
  15. thank you so much for finding me and following. i follow back your lovely blog :)

    beautiful nails and color :)

    http://excurlythoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your nails are perfect, I always lose patience with mine.

    B xxx
    backfortea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi opalline! Lovely name and lovely nails! Thanks for the follow! Following you back! Keep in touch xx
    http://junebiswas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you so much for the follow back! So nice to meet you ^-^

      Delete