Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Body Shop: Coconut and Moringa Body Mists

Last weekend I went into the Body Shop for the first time since I was a teenager: it was both a blast from the past and a big shock! I went to an all girls' school and we were all pretty much obsessed with the Body Shop: it was a fairly cheap, brightly coloured, scented haven of bath pearls and body butter, mini gift sets of shower gel, body lotion and the like. Back then, Dewberry and White Musk were the Latest Thing, and no self respecting teenager would be caught dead without at least one of their infamous little round pots of fruity lip balm in their bag. Fast forward.... um... a few years, and it seems the Body Shop has changed. It's become a lot more up market (along with, sadly, the prices), the packaging and products are more luxurious, and whilst many of the things I remember are still there, there's a wealth of new and exotic things to explore. I saw many things that I'd have loved to bring home, but I'm *supposed* to be on a no buy at the moment; in the end I limited myself to two items and consigned the rest to a wish list for another day!
One of the things that caught my eye the most was their new range of body mists. I was impressed by the selection of scents they've included in this range: there's mango, coconut, moringa, pink grapefruit, satsuma, shea, strawberry and vanilla. I'm pretty sure I also saw a chocolate one, although the Body Shop website doesn't have it listed; maybe I imagined that one? They cost £7 each; more than I'd normally pay for a body spray, but then again these are 100ml each - much bigger than the regular, Impulse-type aerosol sprays.
The first one I picked up was Coconut. I am addicted to anything that smells of coconut, so I'd have probably bought this one no matter what. I was a bit concerned that it would be one of those fake, overly strong, cloying 'sun cream' type coconut smells, but I'm pleased to report this is much nicer. It's a warm, summery, tropical coconut scent, not overpowering, but strong enough that it lasts a good long time: 5 or 6 squirts lasts about half a day on me, maybe a bit longer. You can still smell it on the skin after that, but not so noticeably. I absolutely love this one!
The second mist I chose was Moringa. I have to admit I'd never even heard of Moringa trees before; apparently they grow in India and throughout the tropics and are used for all sorts of purposes including food and medicine. They also have very strongly scented flowers! This spray is richly floral and in the same sort of family as jasmine, gardenia and freesia. It's stronger than the coconut one; three squirts is enough to last all day and I could still smell it a little the next morning too. Some people might find it a bit cloying, but I love it; it's quite a luxurious scent and as long as you use it sparingly, it's the sort of scent that turns people's heads and has them asking what that lovely perfume is that you're wearing.

Overall, I'm really happy with both these mists: they smell great, last a long time, and they look pretty too. The only thing I don't like about them is they're not very portable - when I wear a body spray I quite like to take it with me in my bag and top it up after a few hours, but with these, I'd be worried they would get smashed. Also, at 100ml they're a bit big to fit in my make up bag. It'd be nice if they had smaller, non-glass versions to pop in your handbag as well.

6 comments:

  1. I bought these a couple of years ago in Raspberry & Pomegranate and Green Tera & Lemon when they were on offer (buy one get one half price). I think I need to check out the mango and coconut ones now that you've told me about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! They smell really nice. Mango nearly came home with me too :)

      Delete
  2. I only recently threw out some verrry old pots of Body Shop kiwi and apricot lip balms that I rfemember taking to school! Those were the days... I also love coconut so might try that one next time I'm near the shop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a kiwi one! I may even still have it somewhere :-p

      Delete
  3. What a fun blast from the past. I love the BOdy Shop. ALway have. Glad you picked up some cute stuff.

    Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle
    Cheap Makeup Reviews

    ReplyDelete