Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year!


So it's a new year and I thought I'd start off with one of those new year's resolution type posts that people seem to do about this time. Let's see what 2013 brings!

1. Blogging

I've been a bad blogger in recent times. Life just got in the way, plus lack of equipment, time, motivation and all that blah. But I got some awesome new lighting for Christmas, which fixes the equipment problem (yay) and that in turn helps my motivation since the main reason I never felt like blogging was because my pictures always needed so much work to make them even halfway useful. So I can finally get back to blogging and I am excited!!
Things are going to be a little different around here. My main focus will still be on nails but there are going to be more non-nail related posts too. Most of them will still be beauty-focused, but there might just be the occasional other subject popping up here and there (like this one!)

2. Health and fitness/weight loss
Like a zillion other people, it's no surprise that one of my resolutions is to lose a few pounds this year. While I am no means a heffalump, I have recently become dissatisfied with my body for the simple fact I haven't been looking after it the right way. I am still within what the GP would say is a healthy weight range for my age and height, but only just. I weigh at least a stone more than my 'comfortable weight', more like a stone and a half, and my clothes don't fit so nicely as they used to. This year I'm going to focus on taking care of myself better. No, I won't look like the girl in the picture above (miracles take longer) but hopefully this time next year I will have lost the extra pounds I've packed on over the last 12 months or so!

3. Food


Closely linked to health and fitness, but important enough in its own right to deserve a separate mention on the list, is my diet. Due in part to stress and a busy lifestyle, I have slipped into appalling habits with food. Chocolate bars, crisps, and other convenient junk food have been WAY too high on the list, while anything that takes more than about 5 seconds to prepare has fallen by the wayside. And what happens when I eat rubbish? I feel like rubbish. And I look like rubbish. I can't be healthy on a diet like this. This has to stop. There will be vegetables!!

4. FLYing.

I've always been a terrible hoarder, clutter magnet and generally fail at being neat and tidy. I've tried again and again to do something about this and the only thing that has ever really helped was the FLYLady program. You can learn all about it at www.flylady.net , but in brief, FLY stands for 'Finally Loving Yourself'. The program (which is aimed at Americans, but can be easily adapted for us non US types) is about learning to get rid of all the clutter and junk that you don't need, but not beating yourself up or getting overwhelmed along the way. I've been FLYing on and off for years now and it's made an amazing difference to my life, but sadly since having my son I have mostly fallen off the FLYing wagon and gone back to my old habits. Earlier this year I started FLYing again and it has already started to make a difference, so my fourth resolution this year is to continue FLYing!

So there you are, my four main resolutions for 2013. There's a few more minor ones, like making more effort with my skincare routine, and making more effort with my clothes instead of living in the same few old uninspiring outfits again and again, but that'll do for now... don't want to have a list so long it's impossible to achieve!

What are your resolutions for 2013? Will you be making any changes this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment